Tuesday, June 8, 2010

outlining

Ophelia lit her first cigarette of the day, looking out at her familiar street, ready to walk down to the lake.
"Hey, can I borrow your lighter?"
A tall, thin man with rusty brown hair had exited the building and slipped a cigarette between his raspberry hued lips.
"Sure."
She handed him the red plastic Bic with a smile.
Ophelia watched him cup long bony fingers around the flame until the end of his cigarette glowed.
"Thanks."
"No problem."
She slipped the lighter back into her purse.
"I'm Danny." he said, extending the hand she'd watched moments before.
"Ophelia." she said, allowing him to take her hand.
"You live here?"
"Mhmm. 2014. My third year here in the building."
"Wow. You like it, then?"
"Nowhere I'd rather be."
She took a drag of her cigarette.
"What're you up to, so early?"
"I was going to head down to the lakefront. It's really nice in the morning," she paused, "want to join me?"
Danny nodded.
"Yeah, I'd like that."
They began walking down the street together.
"Mind if I stop for a cup of coffee?" she motioned to the cafe down the block.
"Sounds good." Danny said.
They crossed the street, taking the last drags of the cigarettes.


****

"Babe, what do you want for dinner this week?" Ophelia asked, looking up from her grocery list.
"Ummm, I don't know. What about that eggplant lasagna?"
"Sure."
Ophelia and Danny had fallen into a relationship neither had seen coming. It was four months into the school year, and Christmas break was around the corner.
"So, I've been thinking," Danny began, "I know we both have to go home for Christmas."
Ophelia nodded.
"What if I fly up a couple days after, then we can take the train back here together?"
"Really?"
"I'd like to meet your parents."
"Nobody wants to meet my parents. I don't even want to see my parents." Ophelia laughed.
"Okay, maybe I just want to see you again as soon as possible. But they're going to have to meet me eventually."
"I know. I think I'd like that."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah."
"Sounds like a plan."
He kissed her.
"Ready to go grocery shopping?"
"Yep."

******

Ophelia brushed the flour from her hands to answer her cell phone. It was Danny.
"Hey baby, Merry Christmas!"
"It would be better if we were together."
"Awww, don't go all cute on me, mister. I don't want to cry with all my family around." she giggled.
"I miss you."
"I miss you too." she sighed.
"What's wrong? Nervous about me meeting your parents?"
"Yeah."
"Don't think they'll like me?"
"How could they not like you? It's me they don't like." Ophelia said, putting the finishing touches on the pie she was ready to slip into the oven.
"It'll be alright."
"I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment